Garden Retreat - St Ives, founded by Jo Riley, offers yoga classes, workshops and reflexology treatments to support
your body & mind for optimal health & wellbeing
My health & wellbeing journey so far.....
I am passionate about helping others with their health & wellbeing needs. This interest began as far back as 1991 when until a brief stint of work experience in a large Wolverhampton hospital I wanted to be a Doctor. Quickly realising blood & needles were not for me I went onto study Psychology & Physiology at University nurturing another interest, dyslexia.
I am still not quite sure how it happened but in 1997 I ended up on the Graduate Programme in Marketing at Unilever. It was during this time of London life & a busy job I discovered the world of complementary therapy.
In need of some switch-off I booked a reflexology treatment & remember being amazed at how something so simple induced such relaxation. I went onto train in Clinical Reflexology in 2004 (Level 3 Diploma with the AoR) to become a fully qualified practitioner and a Member of the Association of Reflexologists (MAR).
Since then I have added to my experience & knowledge by:
- Establishing my own clinical practice in the Cotswolds. (Garden Retreat - Cotswolds)
- Spending a year studying the principles of Chinese Medicine through the Five Element Theory at the College of Traditional Acupuncture in Warwick.
- Navigating & recovering from a rare & for many years undiagnosed illness (pituitary tumour)
- Undertaking a Five Element Reflexology Course at the Bath Complimentary College.
- Completing a Diploma in Maternity Reflexology with Louise Keet (MAR), London.
- Training in Hot Stone Reflexology.
I am currently studying the 200 hour Hatha Yoga Diploma at the Bristol School of Yoga with Laura Gilmore. With a fellow yoga teacher & friend, Julia Rose, I have launched a new retreat business called By The Sea. Retreats for creative minds & kindred spirits.
Having run my clinic from the Garden Retreat in the Cotswolds in August 2017 I moved to be near the sea and am now based in Carbis Bay, St. Ives, Cornwall. I treat from a lovely south facing garden room. I now teach yoga from home in Carbis Bay and in studios in Hayle, Carbis Bay and St. Ives ... and on the beach during the Summer months. See YOGA page for current timetable.